6 Tips to Prepare for Hurricane Season
June 1st marked the beginning of the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season. This year, forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Climate Prediction Center are predicting an above-average Atlantic hurricane season with at least 19 named storms and nine hurricanes - four of which will be category three or higher. Now is the time to ready your home and business. Follow our tips below to prepare.
1. Create an evacuation plan. We all know hurricane paths can change rapidly. Choose multiple evacuation locations to account for various storm routes- safe areas East and West of the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Be sure to account for special needs such as pet-friendly hotels.
2. Assemble disaster supplies. Build an emergency kit to sustain each member of your household for at least 72 hours. Test your generator to ensure it is functioning properly if you plan to shelter at home.
3. Review your company's disaster plan. If your business does not have a thorough disaster plan, then SERVPRO of Bay St. Louis/Diamondhead will be happy to assist with our free disaster planning services for local businesses. Send an email to our business development manager Brian Sharp to learn more about our Emergency Ready Program. His email is bsharp@SERVPRO11525.com.
4. Get an insurance checkup. Mississippi's insurance market has changed quite a bit. After multiple storms, Risk Rating 2.0, and various carriers leaving the market, you should review your policies with your insurance agent. Ask about your risks, named storm deductible, and flood insurance opportunities.
5. Save our phone number for emergency services - 228-467-4450. We offer emergency board-up, roof tarping, water damage mitigation, mold remediation, and more storm damage restoration services.
6. Stay weather aware. Sign up for local weather alerts and follow government emergency orders. Visit your county's website to learn more about local alert systems.
Follow us on Facebook and read our blog for emergency alerts and more disaster planning tips.